The company which now operates under the name H. Cegielski-Poznań SA (HCP) was founded by Hipolit Cegielski in 1846. In the beginning the factory produced tools and agricultural machinery as well as tooling for the food processing industry, sugar factories, distilleries, etc.
After Poland regained its independence in 1918, the production of rolling stock, including locomotives and rail cars began. In 1956 the company purchased from the Swiss company Sulzer Brothers Ltd a license to build 2-stroke low-speed marine diesel engines. In 1959, another license for these engines was bought this time from the Danish company Burmeister & Wain.
In 1960, the Minister of Heavy Industry decided to build a new factory in HCP, which was to produce medium speed diesel engines to marine generating sets, locomotives and small vessels. After this decision was implemented on 01.05.1963 a new organizational unit ZPM H. Cegielski was created under the name "Fabryka Silników Agregatowych i Trakcyjnych" (W9 Factory). Launch of production and recruitment started on 01.10.1963. The production included 4-stroke diesel engines for use in marine and stationary generating sets, and rail traction engines.
In June 1995, the company received a certificate of quality management system ISO 9001.
As a result of organizational changes on 01.01.1999 was founded H. Cegielski-Diesel Engines and Generating Sets Factory Ltd which took over the whole manufacturing and service activities in the scope of 4-stroke diesel and gas engines. Preparation of notarial deeds on the conclusion of the Company`s Articles of Association took place on 02.10.1998 while it was registered in the District Court in Poznań on 22.10.1998.
In 2000, the Company received a certificate of environmental management system ISO 14001. The certificates were issued by Germanischer Lloyd and the Polish Register of Shipping. Certificates declare and confirm that the H. Cegielski - Diesel Engines and Generating Sets Factory Ltd respects and implements in its business the requirements prescribed in ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
Maintenance and improvement of the integrated quality management system and environmental management in FSA was a strategic decision of the company which takes into accounts the customers` needs and requirements.
In December 2011, H. Cegielski - Diesel Engines and Generating Sets Factory Ltd was privatized.